Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Birth of Alex

Oh, thank God that is finally over! I knew from the very minute I got pregnant that I was growing another little baby in my body. It made for a very, very long pregnancy. After having placenta previa, my pubic bones separate, excrutiating back pain and contractions for 18 weeks I was finally induced on June 02, 2009. I am not exactly certain how long I was in labor since I was induced, but from the time my water broke to the time I delivered was over 8 hours. This was supposed to be my fast and easy delivery, but I am one of those people who doesn't do things the easy way. When it came time to push Alex was facing the wrong way. He was in posterior position which is head down but face up. This makes it much harder for him to get around my pelvis and makes it much more painful for me. I pushed for about 1 hour and finally he came out. Oh, what a relief it was! Afterwards the nurse told me what a wonderful job I did pushing because almost all babies in the posterior position end up in c-sections. In fact, there is only a 5% chance that babies deliver in that position and it is usually in the first pregnancy. Then out of that 5% about 1% of women are actually able to push the baby out. I must say that I am extremely proud of myself for completing that feat. Now I have a beautiful baby to show for all of that pain and suffering. It will be a good story to guilt him with when he is older. My mother still blames her belly fat on me and she had me 34 years ago! Alexander Reed Killin was born on June 02, 2009 at 10:24 pm. He weighed 9 lbs. 5 ozs. and is 22 1/2 inches long. He is strong and healthy and can already hold his head up on his own. We did have to stay a day longer though since our blood types are not compatible. He is at a higher risk of being jaundice and in fact is moderately high right now. We just have to keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating and pooping enough to get all of the icky stuff out. Now I feel like my family is complete. My grandma told me that when she and grandpa had only two kids that she felt like they were a couple with two kids, but when they had their third they felt like a family. I must say that I agree. Grace and Jack love their little brother and we have such a wonderful future ahead of us. It was definitely worth every minute of it!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, congrats, congrats! I'm so glad you're feeling well. Once you teach little Grace to babysit and change diapers, you'll have to let me know if you ever feel like venturing down my way for some sushi!

    ReplyDelete